V International competition for young opera directors “Nano-Opera”
- The international competition for young opera directors is established and promoted by Moscow Musical Theatre Helikon-Opera under Dmitry Bertman and the Department of Culture of the city of Moscow once in two years (started in 2013).
- Competition gives an opportunity to young opera directors to prove themselves working with professional actors using new theatre technologies. The main tasks of the Nano-Opera competition – to enliven traditional Russian opera theatre and to find new ways for organic integration of modern technologies into the opera.
- In the program there are short opera scenes and a strictly limited time to stage them, adequate to the requirements of modern stage directing. Stage design for the competitive works should be made in the style of minimalism.
- Information about the competition is published on the www.helikon.ru and nano-opera.ru on February 15, 2022.
- The age limit for the participants is 40 years old, regardless citizenship, but with higher education, confirmed by the Diploma.
- The participants and the winners of the previous competitions Nano-Opera are accepted to take part in Nano-Opera 2022.
- In the Nano-Opera competition there are 4 rounds. For the selection round the members produce the explication (with the explication, contestants should send the filled in application form. This form, signed by a contestant, will become a certificate of consent with all the conditions) of one opera scene (any opera scene) of the world classic opera repertoire; it must be 2 pages of typed text made preferably in two languages – Russian and English. Explication should be sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org not later than April 1, 2022. The Jury decision will be published on nano-opera.ru and www.helikon.ru not later than April 10, 2022. Explications are not edited or returned back to the senders. Those who were selected through the e-net are supposed to arrive to the Helikon-opera from May 22 to 28, 2022.
- The allotment of those, who passed through to the 1st round, will be held on May 22, 2022 in “Pokrovsky” Hall of Helikon-Opera.
- The 1st, the 2nd and the 3d rounds will be held on the stage of “Shakhovskaya” White-Column Hall of Helikon-Opera in public. At the 1st round (May 23, 2022) the participants will work with the soloists of Helikon-Opera staging one opera aria, chosen from the list attached. At the 2nd round (May 24, 2022) the participants of Nano-Opera project will work with the soloists over the duets. At the 3d round the finalists are working with the soloists and the choir of Helikon-Opera making the mass scene. The 1st, the 2nd and 3d rounds are accompanied by the piano. Theatre offers the sets of minimal stage design as scenography. The soloists, choir and directors work in the special rehearsal t-shirts with the Nano-opera logo. Working languages of the contest are Russian and English.
- International Jury of Nano-Opera competition includes opera directors, intendants of world opera theatres is headed by the Chairman of the Jury – General and Artistic Director of Helikon-Opera, People’s Artist of Russia, professor Dmitry Bertman.
- Media Jury, consisting of the leading musical critics of the country, awards with their own prizes the participants, independent from the professional Jury.
- The International Jury’s decision is final.
- The awarding ceremony and Gala-concert will be held on May 27, 19.00 at the Helikon-Opera theatre in “Stravinsky” Hall. In the Gala-concert the winners will present their works out of those shown during the 2nd and the 3d tours (the choice of Jury), accompanied by the orchestra of Helikon-Opera. Before the Gala concert there will be held a dress-rehearsal. All the winners, participants and the members of the Jury and Media Jury will get the memorial gifts and diplomas.
- The hotel expenses for the participants who passed through to the 1nd round will be paid by the Nano-Opera competition from 22 to 28 May, 2022, transfer from and back to the airport is also provided by the Nano-Opera competition. All the expenses on the flight to Moscow and back must be covered by the participants or by the sending company. The theatre provides all foreign participants of the competition with visa support via the Russian Foreign Ministry to guarantee the obtainment of Russian entry visas. Visa fees are not refundable. The participants will not receive any payment for their performance at the competition or for any later use of the recordings and broadcasts of these performances. Helikon-Opera has exclusive rights to sell the audio video recordings and transmit the competition auditions and the final Gala-concert.
- In the event of any dispute in the interpretation of these terms and conditions, the correct text is considered to be Russian.
- The program of the competition includes the scenes from rarely performed on the opera scenes compositions, including those that are performed only in Helikon-Opera. Participants choose from the list of proposed one aria, one duet and one mass scene.
1. Application form
3. The list of contest works
This post is also available in: Russian